Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 02:16:40 -0500
From:      "Denny Jodeit" <denny@jodeit.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Chat" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why no Indians and Arabs?

>    Umm, but the assumption was wrong - there are both Indian and Arab
> developers working on FreeBSD. His question was based on false
assumptions,
> so I don't know that there is anything to really talk about. :-)
>
> -DG

Exactly.

But, I'll take my chance to add my two pennies..

My dad is the son of a German immigrant. He was born in 1935 in New York
State. That made him a citizen of the United States. My grandmother was born
a month after her family arrived in Wisconsin from Germany in 1899, also
making her a United States citizen. My grandfather had immigrated to this
country in 1930, as Germany was in uprise. He was naturalized before my
father's birth, further locking my father's citizenship.

My father tells stories, which I care not to repeat here, of how German kids
were treated in school here in the US, during the WWII conflict. My dad was
age 5 in 1940, just starting school. His stories made me very glad I grew up
in a kinder world, in the late 60's and 70's. I graduated from HS in '79.
The world was a fairly happy place.

I actually used to ignore questions like this thread originally posed. They
weren't worth my time.

My dad turns 67 in March, pretty healthy for a man of his age. He smoked for
near 50 years and quit over 2 yrs ago. But he's an angry SOB a good part of
the time.

I've watched the pain my dad has gone thru, and survived, all my life. He's
always had self-esteem problems. He's never been able to read well without
help. He's always had problems dealing with conflicts in the workplace. I
think his peers in school may have done this to him. I really do. But I
don't blame them...I blame society.

In light of the video recently released, uncovering bin Laden's uncaring
ways for even his own followers, the question about Arabs and Indians was a
little on the insensitive side. But I also understand the nervousness. It's
a Catch22, no doubt. But let's not, for mankind's sake, repeat past
mistakes. Arab in descent doesn't mean evil. Muslims do not want the rest of
the world dead, how ridiculous. No God of any religion would want people
killed in His name.

The current world conflict is not about an ethnic group or any religion.
It's about stopping terror. No one has the right to kill innocent people and
create fear for any reason. Period.

It's time for people of the world to talk, to meet, to understand...... and
the Internet(with tons of credit to FreeBSD :>), has made that closer to
reality.

'Nuff said.

Denny