Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 18:48:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      James Howard <howardjp@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A breath of fresh air..

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> > Pull up a shell window.
>
> How do you "pull up a shell window" if you have exited the GUI?

Why are you bothering to exit the GUI?

> > X is not necessarily a "standard", certainly not one that you are
> > required to implement.
>
> Really?  So much for arguments in favor of UNIX based on X, eh?
>
> It's interesting how positions shift.

Not really.  This in fact furthers the argument.  A lot of applications
are too difficult to implement in X because of the way X is designed.  So
you have alternative windowing interfaces.  As I said before, you are
never locked into anything with Unix.  Frankly, there is no reason you
have to use Windows on top of DOS.  Remember DesqView?  OS/2?  DOSSHELL?
Or any of a hundred other systems?

> I'd expect that any UNIX system used as a server would not have a GUI, as it
> is just a waste of resources and a security and stability risk.

It may be a waste of resources, but it is neither a security or stability
risk.

> > What's running currently?  I dunno, lemme pull up
> > a shell window and see:
>
> Lots of weird stuff.  Weird stuff makes me nervous.

Ever look at TaskManager under 2000?

Jamie