Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:04:58 -0500
From:      Steve Fettig <lists@stevenfettig.com>
To:        David Burns <david.burns@dugeem.net>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network Transfer Speed Issues - Tweaks/Advice?

I really appreciate everyone who offered up a few ideas and answers.
One of the first things I finally figured out was that the adapter was
failing... hmmm doesn't make sense - it didn't fail completely, but I
swapped it out with a different adapter (same thing 2940UW) and the
performance change was quite remarkable.  That still didn't solve the
huge discrepancy in speed difference between my other SCSI (internal)
drives and the ones I am working with, however.  My next test will be to
build a system from the ground up w/ a 500 MHz processor and a 133 MHz
FSB.  I am also wondering if I really missed the boat on the drives,
too.  They are "older" 5400 RPM SCSI drives (HUGE drives physically) but
I don't see how they would be any slower than an IDE 5400 RPM drive -
which they are and quite a bit so.
As for all of the other stuff, the CPU load is usually at a steady 15%
(nfsd).  Since that is the only service running (besides the required
daemons on a somewhat vanilla system) and the only load that the
"server" is under, I don't think that is an issue.  I am going to test
system performance with the suggested programs (that was another thing I
was looking for in the answer, although I guess I didn't say it...) and
see what happens.  I am starting to think that this is a combination of
controller and system not having the performance I was expecting.
Everything on the net end seems to be functioning without problem - no
lost packets, broken communication, etc.

Well, the testing goes on.  Please continue to comment if you have any
ideas (especially with regards to kernel tweaks, etc).

Thanks,
Steve