Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:56:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cobalt blames linux for their security problems!

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Dennis wrote:

> At 09:18 PM 2/27/99 +1030, you wrote:

> >> Tell me about it...  here's my response.
> >>
> >> <quote>
> >> [snip]
> >> </quote>
> >>
> >> I had actually looked into some of Cobalt's products...  must say I've
> >> lost quite a bit of respect for them as a result of their reponse to
> >> this issue.  Then again, what's to consider anyway...  They don't run
> >> FreeBSD.  ;)
> >
> >They could just as well have run FreeBSD.  The issue here is that they
> >(or somebody else) are blaming the OS for their own mistakes.
>
> Well the RAQ is a RISC processor that FreeBSD doesnt support,  so I dont
> think that that was an option. Blaming an OS is an OK thing I think...you cant
> as a vendor be expected to fix everything thats wrong....PCI shared memory on
> secondary buses doesnt seem to work in FreeBSD2.2 (havent tried 3.1 yet)...
> you have to blame the OS as its not practical to fix it yourself.

Dennis, did you read enough of that article?  Their problem was leaving
around a .history file, it hadn't anything at all to do with pci
probing.

That article had more factual screwups (on both sides, to be fair) than
I can believe ... let's not make it worse by skimming the facts to fit
our moods.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).