Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:34:39 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@freebsd.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tap dhcp

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>wrote:

> Juli Mallett wrote:
> There are things you can do with netgraph, but they're not very good.
> Do you actually want both interfaces to see the same traffic, or do
> you want to create two virtual interfaces attached to one physical?
> If you provide a clear description of your needs, somebody else can
> probably help you.  I'm out of touch on the latest and greatest way to
> do this with FreeBSD, sorry.

Thanks for the help.

>>  My goal is essentially clone my network connection recieving two DHCP
>>> leases
>>> to the same box.  Also I am aware of ifconfig alias, but that didn't seem
>>> up
>>> to the task.
>>>

> Why?

More curiosity than necessity at this point.

>  Do you actually want both interfaces to see the same traffic, or do
>> you want to create two virtual interfaces attached to one physical?
>>

> or two interfaces on two different virtual machines? (jails?)

Basically yes although not specifically jails(only problem I had with jails
networking was the multiple subnet bug, but that's fixed now).  I started
thinking about this originally when playing around with virtualbox, but the
lack of bridged networking crippled any real virtual environment
development.  It's not a top priority and I was mostly wondering if I had
found a bug.  Being modestly aware of my ignorance, I thought I would see if
I was doing something wrong or if my understanding is flawed.

>  If you provide a clear description of your needs, somebody else can
>> probably help you.  I'm out of touch on the latest and greatest way to
>> do this with FreeBSD, sorry.
>>
>> Juli.

I really don't need anything, I just wanted to know if the steps I'd taken
should work and it's a bug, or if I still need some learnin.

--
Adam Vande More