Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:21:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Joel M. Baldwin" <qumqats@outel.org>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Typhoon?  (was: newsgroup server recommendation)

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Joel M. Baldwin wrote:

> Disk drive space is cheaper than CPU power.  The stuff that takes up
> most
> of the space on your spool won't compress much anyway.

  I don't know what planet you are living on, but good quality, high-speed
reliable and large disk storage systems are expensive.  CPU power is
cheap, and much easier to upgrade too.

  Since binaries are usually uuencoded, they will compress about 20%.
That gives you about 80GB more space on a 400GB spool.  Plus compression
reduces the overall IO throughput by an equivelant amount.  The bigger the
spool, the more compression works in your favour.

Tom