Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 2002 17:57:22 -0700
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What is user uucp good for?

>> Maybe future generations will wonder what it is named after
>> similarly to GCOS field in passwd today :-)
>
>At the very least we should change the shell.  But Kris' suggestions
>sound the best.

I agree. But more importantly, let's make sure that we don't, by
removing the uucp login, make it difficult for people to continue to run
programs that need dialer access.

If we remove uucp from the password file we need to ensure that UUCP,
installed from the ports tree, will continue to work with the new device
ownerships and permissions. In theory Taylor UUCP will work with only
'dialer' group access to the tty* and cua* devices, but this does need
to be verified before nuking the uucp password file entry.

OTOH, I don't see a pressing need to nuke the uucp login. Nothing
breaks by leaving it in place, and third-party code assumes it
exists (things that want to mess with modems, like FAX software).
It makes more sense to (perhaps) mention 'uucp' is a deprecated
login, but until *BSD defines an "official" interface to the
dialer devices, it would be premature to remove the existing
de-facto interface to them (think /var/spool/lock, and
uu_lock(3)).

--lyndon