Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:25:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Robert S. Sciuk" <rob@ControlQ.com>
To:        Scott MacFiggen <smf@activesw.com>
Cc:        sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status?

Back in 1997, Jason Evans of Sun was allowed to work on a sanctioned port
of FreeBSD to ultra sparc ... but as was inevitably the case, found the
support flagged, and he had to focus on other activities ... he retired
from active duty on the project, and it lay in limbo until a student in
Italy, Paolo DeFrancesco, took a Quixotic run at the project ... as the
list has been silent for some time on the matter, I consider it a closed
issue, but that is JUST my opinion 8-}.

Jordan Hubbard has made some very lucid statements regarding the
difficulty of supporting multiple hardware platforms, as well as
misrepresenting ones self as a representative of the FreeBSD project when
asking hardware vendors for support (ie:  don't).

OpenBSD and NetBSD both work on 32 bit sparc ... I guess that's where
we'll have to look for the near term.