Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:45:44 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TowerJ for FreeBSD

> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-08-1998/jw-08-volanomark.html

Yep, this is where FreeBSD (and less so Linux) got the crap kicked out
of it.  Linux is a bit better than ours for a couple of reaasons.

1) The use the assembly version of the interpreter, and we use the C
   version.
2) Our 'Green Threads' implementation uses locking that is not as
   effecient as the Linux version.  In particular, Linux kernel's have
   poll built in, and we emulate it (badly, but effectively) with some
   hacks to use select.  A 3.0/ELF port could take advantage of most of
   the Linux work since we're now using the same library format and we
   have poll, but none of the porters (hint, hint, nudge, nudge) have
   done anything.

There is lots to do in the Java realm, but very few of the people on the
porters list have done anything about making it happen.  For that
reason, I'm probably going to disband the current effort whenever
I get around to doing the JDK1.2 stuff and start over with folks that
have shown real interest in it.  (Unless someone else beats me to the
punch.)

Nate