Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 15:06:40 -0700
From:      Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>
To:        Chuck TheMascot <freebsdfan@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic w/ Picobsd 4.4 & tftp boot

Hi Chuck,

Chuck TheMascot wrote:

> >Just my observations about PXE booting and FreeBSD:
> >
> >I first tried pxeboot using tftp, but also never got it to work with
> >FreeBSD's tftp server. I then tried several win based tftp servers, and
> >a couple of them worked just fine.... I eventually switched pxeboot to
> >nfs, as the win tftp server that worked best cost $$$, and the demo was
> >time limited.
> >
> >So it seems like that FreeBSD's tftp server and pxeboot works
> >seperately, but don't like each other....
>
> Interesting.  It might be the retry timing, if the retry doesn't happen to
> arrive at the wrong time things might just work.  We you also getting a
> kernel panic with the FreeBSD TFTP server ?

I didn't get any panics on the server, the pxeboot just hang. But I was
also using FreeBSD 4.1....

> I also have a Windoze based tftp server that I wrote, but I haven't tried it
> yet. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I would be interested in that windoze tftp server, especially if you
could do an simple dhcp server too, and that you want to give it away
:-)

I'm looking for a way for people to be able to install software on my
net4501 box using the PXE boot without having access to a unix box.

Regards,

Soren