Date:      Sun, 02 Apr 2000 14:29:55 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Nick Hibma <n_hibma@calcaphon.com>
Cc:        Nikolai Saoukh <nms@otdel-1.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reserving Resources

In message <Pine.BSF.4.20.0004022113120.604-100000@localhost> Nick Hibma writes:
: The issue is pretty hairy and for now I think the solution is to make
: any stub use DEVICE_NOMATCH (see pci.c), which does not attach a driver
: to a device, just mentions it during boot.

And during every reprobe after that... :-(.

I'm currently working on a pci card driver and the vga chipset gets
reprinted every single time I load the driver...

The whole purpose of unknown is to CONSUME the resources that others
might try to use.  This can't easily be done in the base bus w/o it
actually consuming them.  Maybe we need a flag that means "I'm a
pseudo device that was created to consume these resources, please feel
free to detach me when reprobing the bus for any reason."

While the above would solve the problem being talked about, it would
still suffer from the "all unknown children printing" problem, I
think.

Warner