Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 96 10:01:43 GMT
From:      Tim Bissell <tjb@fnbc.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems with 2.1.5 / XFree86 3.1.2 and Diamond Stealth64 DRAM

[ I'm a PC and FreeBSD novice, but fairly experienced Unix user, and
 lapsed (SVR3, SVR4) kernel hacker ]

-----------------------------
My system:

Intel Advancel ML (Marl?) motherboard with 133MHz Pentium / 32MB EDO
  1.2GB Fujitsu IDE disk        : Win95

PCI Adaptec 2940AU
  id 0: CDC Wren 6              : FreeBSD
  id 5: Matsushita 4xCDROM
  id 6: HP-DAT

PCI Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM  (Win95 says Controller is S3-Vision764, 2MB DRAM)

ISA NE2000 Clone Ethernet card

------------------------------

I have installed 2.1.5 from the Walnut Creek CDROM on my system, and cannot
get XFree86 3.1.2 running on it; X -probeonly probes the video card and
can only find 64K of video RAM, where W*n95 recognises and uses 2MB.

Does anyone else use this video card, and have problems?
Would it be sensible to grab XFreeBSD 3.2, and try and install it?

I notice on an XFreeBSD page about building kernels for X, it mentions:

NB. my kernel is the one prepared by Kenneth Chiu, from the
2.1.5-RELEASE kernel code, and Adaptec driver code from the 10/06/96
version.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tim
---