Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 03:47:58 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Matthew West <mwest@cs.uct.ac.za>
To:        "B. Richardson" <rabtter@aye.net>
Cc:        Cc:  ;
Subject:   Re: I want to break binary compatibility.

B. Richardson wrote:

> I have a problem with some hackers that are obsessed with making my
> ISP's life miserable (they've already hacked our SGI). I've slapped
> together a FreeBSD box to throw their webpages on it, turned off all
> services except http.
[snip]
> What I want to do, if possible is build a uniq system such that binaries
> from other systems will not run on it and vice versa. Is this possible?

You can achieve pretty much the same effect by mounting /home and /tmp
noexec.

Additionally, do a search for suid files and remove any that are not
necessary:

# find / -perm \( -perm -u+s -or -perm -g+s \) -print

(or take the section from /etc/security).

--mwest@cs.uct.ac.za
  http://www.cs.uct.ac.za