Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 21:15:41 CDT
From:      Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   new filesystem

  For a computer security class project I would like to implement the
BPL security model in a filesystem and am looking for a hint as to where
to begin.

  The BPL model uses classifications, compartments and a few simple
rules to determine if a user can access the files.  Users and files
have classifications placed on them as well as belonging in
compartments.  At the moment I am thinking that for the project that I
could get by with an extra 64 bits of information per file.  Perhaps
10 bits for classification and the remainder for compartment.

  My feeling as to how to proceed to implement the filesystem is to copy
the ufs filesystem code and give it a new identity.  The extra code to
handle the model slowly worked in.  There would appear to be an extra 64
bits of spare space at the end of the dinode structure where I planned to
store the classifications and compartment information.

  "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD OS" talks about using
the nullfs as a starting place for a new filesystem or a layer but I am
not completely certain that this is the best choice in this case.
Perhaps the extra information could be handled at the vnode level
instead of the inode level...

  I am curious what others more experienced feel would be the best way to
do this.  I would like to minimize the impact that my changes have on
the actual kernel of course.

  Thanks.

---
Kent Vander Velden