Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 18:14:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/18783: more password-format text

>Number:         18783
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       more hammering on the DES-vs-MD5 text
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

handbook security chapter

Further explanation of a couple of points that have come up lately on
the mailing lists (or was it newsgroup?).

Also, I fixed a few grammar nits.

This covers some of the same ground as my year-and-a-half-old PR
docs/8765, but mostly not.  That one probably belongs in the FAQ,
anyway.

>How-To-Repeat:

n/a

>Fix:

*** chapter.sgml~       Sat May  6 16:21:57 2000
--- chapter.sgml        Tue May 23 18:09:19 2000
***************
*** 742,755 ****
      <para><emphasis>Parts rewritten and updated by &a.unfurl;, 21 March
        2000.</emphasis></para>

!     <para>Every user on a UNIX system has a password associated with their
!       account, obviously these passwords need to be known only to
!       the user and the actual operating system.  In order to keep
!       these passwords secret, they are encrypted with what is known
!       as a 'one-way hash', that is, they can only be easily encrypted
!       but not decrypted.  The only way to get the password is by
!       brute force searching the space of possible passwords.
!       Unfortunately the only secure way to encrypt passwords when
        UNIX came into being was based on DES, the Data Encryption
        Standard.  This is not such a problem for users that live in
        the US, but since the source code for DES cannot be exported
--- 742,762 ----
      <para><emphasis>Parts rewritten and updated by &a.unfurl;, 21 March
        2000.</emphasis></para>

!     <para>Every user on a UNIX system has a password associated with
!       their account.  It seems obvious that these passwords need to be
!       known only to the user and the actual operating system.  In
!       order to keep these passwords secret, they are encrypted with
!       what is known as a 'one-way hash', that is, they can only be
!       easily encrypted but not decrypted.  In other words, what we
!       told you a moment ago was obvious isn't even true: the operating
!       system itself doesn't <emphasis>really</emphasis> know the
!       password.  It only knows the <emphasis>encrypted</emphasis> form
!       of the password.  The only way to get the 'plain-text' password
!       is by a brute force search of the space of possible
!       passwords.</para>
!
!
!       <para>Unfortunately the only secure way to encrypt passwords when
        UNIX came into being was based on DES, the Data Encryption
        Standard.  This is not such a problem for users that live in
        the US, but since the source code for DES cannot be exported
***************
*** 761,767 ****
        so that US users could install the DES libraries and use
        DES but international users still had an encryption method
        that could be exported abroad.  This is how FreeBSD came to
!       use MD5 as it's default encryption method.</para>

      <sect2>
        <title>Recognizing your crypt mechanism</title>
--- 768,776 ----
        so that US users could install the DES libraries and use
        DES but international users still had an encryption method
        that could be exported abroad.  This is how FreeBSD came to
!       use MD5 as its default encryption method.  MD5 is believed to
!       be more secure than DES, so installing DES is offered primarily
!       for compatibility reasons.</para>

      <sect2>
        <title>Recognizing your crypt mechanism</title>
***************
*** 777,782 ****
--- 786,799 ----
        alphabet which does not include the <literal>&dollar;</literal>
        character, so a relatively short string which does not begin with
        a dollar sign is very likely a DES password.</para>
+
+       <para>The libraries can identify the passwords this way as
+         well.  As a result, the DES libraries are able to identify MD5
+         passwords, and use MD5 to check passwords that were encrypted
+         that way, and DES for the rest.  They are able to do this
+         because the DES libraries also contain MD5.  Unfortunately,
+         the reverse is not true, so the MD5 libraries can't
+         authenticate passwords that were encrypted with DES.</para>

        <para>Identifying which library is being used by the programs on
        your system is easy as well. Any program that uses crypt is linked