Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2018 00:49:49 +0100 (CET)
From:      <byuu@tutanota.com>
To:        Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org>, Freebsd Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I'd like to submit a kernel patch for a new sysctl to use EFI instead of ACPI for poweroff + reboot

Sorry, I meant to say, "Are you using a Threadripper 2 as well?", of course=
 it's a TR4 socket board ... sigh.

Dec 11, 2018, 8:47 AM by byuu@tutanota.com:

> I made an account on reviews.freebsd.org, but it won't allow me to submit=
 a patch via the website.

> Tutorials online want me to install a bunch of software, install certific=
ates, configure Git, and ... I'm very sorry, but I don't have the patience =
just for a quick patch. No hard feelings if you can't use it like this.

> As far as the bug not occurring on your X399 ... very interesting. Are yo=
u using a Threadripper as well? This user was having the same issue on the =
X399 as I am on my X399M: > https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/am=
d-threadripper-build.70194/#post-485064 <https://forums.freenas.org/index.p=
hp?threads/amd-threadripper-build.70194/#post-485064>

> I've exhausted all latest version BIOS settings, toggled lots of sysctl t=
unables, etc to no avail. Not a big deal really, just had nothing better to=
 work on while waiting for 12-RELEASE ^-^;

> Dec 11, 2018, 6:31 AM by > cem@freebsd.org <mailto:cem@freebsd.org>> :
>
>> On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 5:06 AM <>> byuu@tutanota.com <mailto:byuu@tutan=
ota.com>>> > wrote:

>>> Thank you, this information helped a lot!
>>>

>> I am glad to hear it.
>>
>>> I am not sure where I should submit my patch to ... I'll post it here i=
f that's okay. If it needs to go somewhere else, please provide instruction=
s or if you don't mind ... submit it on my behalf ^^;

>> I'll second Jason's request =E2=80=94 please go ahead and submit a diff =
>> Phabricator (reviews.freebsd.org), if you don't mind.
>>
>>> This patch has been created against -CURRENT, and has been tested succe=
ssfully on 12.0-RC3. It allows me to power off my ASRock X399M (mATX) mothe=
rboard, and should also work for ASRock X399 (ATX) users who have reported =
the same problem of ACPI hanging during shutdown. Hopefully it will be usef=
ul to other users in the future who experience ACPI shutdown issues as a fa=
llback option.

>> Hm, I don't recall my ASRock X399 board having issues shutting down with=
 ACPI.