Date:      Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:27:27 +0100
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org>
To:        klowd9 - <klowd92@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating Assembly developers page

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:16:17PM +0000, klowd9 - wrote:
> The chapter on x86 Assembly Language Programming, of the Develeopers
> Handbook, is severly out of tune.
> I dont know how you guys even considered posting it, but yet its there..
> The small portion of code supplied in the document is poorly written.
> Not to mention the section concerning programming with the FPU, which if
> anyone actually bothered reading it, will notice its basically a guide for
> coding software for Pinhole Cameras, and very little to do with freebsd at
> all.

Well, that may be the problem, it must have something to do with
FreeBSD.  The current developers-handbook chapter about assembly show
how to do things under FreeBSD with assembler, it's the interesting
point, without that it does not really worth to have another x86
assembler tutorial in our documentation set (google offers plenty of
doc on that subject).
If you think the current section is wrong or badly written, what about
submitting updates?

> With about id guess 60 lines concerning actual use of the FPU, and another
> 1050 lines concerning Pinhole cameras.
> That being said, Can i submit an alternate guide for x86 asm programming to
> replace the current one?
> Where do i submit it to? Can i leave it in basic text format, with
> different chapters, or do i need to edit it with html tags in similiar
> design to the rest of the Developers Handbook?

You can submit anything regarding documentation via send-pr (with doc as
PR category).  You don't have to convert your text to SGML, we can do
it.

Marc