Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 06:29:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Valence Logrus <valence@symboliq.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>, "'Trish Lynch'" <trish@bsdunix.net>, "'Chris Coleman'" <chrisc@vmunix.com>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hotmail _still_ runs FreeBSD!

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

=AD=AD=BB
=AD=AD=BB Bill isn't a thirteen-year-old geek with more testosterone than b=
rains, so I
=AD=AD=BB doubt that he is as emotional and irrational as you imply.  If he=
 were, he
=AD=AD=BB never would have reached the position he is in today, as people w=
ho think
=AD=AD=BB and act like children tend to be poor businessmen.
=AD=AD=BB
=AD=AD=BB
Emotional and irrational is an exaggeration, a rivalry does exist however,
between Scott McNealy and Bill Gates, if only at surface level "just for
fun". I don't think it's too fun for Bill, as Scott has himself testified
several times against Microsoft during the antitrust hearings.  Trade rags
have constantly picked up sayings from Scott bashing Microsoft, as
chairman of the board at Microsoft Bill has an opportunity to be annoyed
by those comments. Whether he is or not I surely don't know.  Microsoft
may just use whatever gets the job done, but for Sun it's a different
matter, as Sun has no reliance whatsoever on any Microsoft products, so
the rivalry may just be a Sun thing, but it is amusing still. It's like
the Harvard-MIT rivalry, there really isn't one formally, but the
sophmoric persons on both sides still like to believe there is one.

But this is a digression. We're advocating FreeBSD, not Solaris! I recall
some previous discussion regarding Sun asking the FreeBSD core team about
porting FreeBSD to the SPARC platform.  Does anyone know if Sun has
courted "FreeBSD" again since then?  Sun flirts with Linux but really
doesn't want to comit to it even as much as IBM has flirted with it. I'd
really like to see the SPARC port efforts out there keep on going, I'm
trying to do my part here and there, but it is a big p.i.t.a.  The
problems around SMP are the big issue it seems.