Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:17:48 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Peter van Heusden <pvh@egenetics.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make your kernels

At 10:57 PM -0600 2000/7/12, Warner Losh wrote:

>  In message <v0422080fb590c5bfdca5@[195.238.1.121]> Brad Knowles writes:
>  : 	Hmm.  Good idea.  Until then, this needs to be mentioned in the
>  : documentation.
>
>  How is UPDATING currently not sufficient for this purpose?

	What I guess the online documentation should say is something
like "If you're updating the sources for your machine with cvsup,
then you need to follow the kernel build procedure documented in
/usr/src/UPDATING, because there may be internal dependancies that
have changed with the source update.  As of this writing, what
/usr/src/UPDATING says to do is: ...", and then to mention that if
you're just rebuilding your kernel and haven't updated the sources,
to use the "usual" procedure that is documented in section X.Y.Z of
the handbook.

	The problem, as I see it, is that many times the only source of
information on what to do is in the archives of this mailing list (or
on -CURRENT, where these things were discussed before they got
MFC'd), and there is typically a time lag between the changes being
made, things being discussed on the list, things being put into
/usr/src/UPDATING, and the online documentation (in roughly that
order).  This can mean hours and even days of downtime for someone
unlucky enough to update at the wrong time.

	The only other alternative I can see is to recommend in the
strongest possible terms against people actually trying to *use*
-STABLE on production systems, and that only people who are willing
to subscribe to the -STABLE mailing list, keep up with perhaps
hundreds of messages per day, understand each and every one of them,
and be able to usefully contribute to the discussion, should even
bother attempting to use -STABLE.

	However, at that point, I see little difference between -STABLE
and -CURRENT.