Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 02:21:51 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "James Howard" <howardjp@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        "Brad Knowles" <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, "Konstantinos Konstantinidis" <kkonstan@duth.gr>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A breath of fresh air..

James writes:

> Why are you bothering to exit the GUI?

I originally asked if you could do without the GUI and just use a
command-line interface, and you implied that this was possible.  However,
"pulling up a window" requires the existence of the GUI, so that's not the
same as what I asked for.

> A lot of applications are too difficult to
> implement in X because of the way X is designed.
> So you have alternative windowing interfaces.

Such as Microsoft Windows?

> It may be a waste of resources, but it is
> neither a security or stability risk.

I can't run at secure_level=3 on a system that is running an X server.  This
implies, by extension, that the X server does things that can potentially
destabilize the system (otherwise it wouldn't need to bypass security).  And
all but one of the crashes and other problems I've had with FreeBSD have
occurred while an X server was running on the host.

> Ever look at TaskManager under 2000?

Not on 2000, but on NT, and that is already scary enough.  There are lots of
mysterious services running, and if you try to stop any of them, things
start to fail in an apparently random way, and if you ask Microsoft about
them, nobody knows what they are for.  And there's no source, so you can't
investigate anything yourself.

I would not want to be stuck in that same rut on UNIX.