Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 10:27:21 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changes to rc files

> swap the sysconfig file around to change the identity of the system
> based on where I am.

While were on the subject of reorganizing /etc <grin>, what do people
think of changin the names of all the startup files so that they start
with "rc". Something like:

	rc
	rc.daemon
	rc.i386
	rc.local
	rc.netstart
	rc.ppp
	rc.serial
	rc.sysconfig

The great benefit this gives is that I can just "grep foo rc*" to search
for something related to startup...

Also, in reorganizing /etc, I made an "/etc/inet" directory, where I
put all networking specific information. Thus:

All the /etc/rc files use these for the "set foo = `cat /etc/inet/fooish` "

	domain, fullname, def_route, ipaddr.ed0, sysname

These have symbolic links in /etc for the things that look there:

	named.boot, resolv.conf, hosts, networks, screend.conf

Everything else is told to find their files there:

	root.cache, hosts.namedb, rev.namedb, local.namedb, smb.conf

This is really helpful since when I change to a different network, all I
have to do is edit (or swap out for multiple configs) the files in this
one directory (and maybe /etc/ppp) and I'm all set. Really crucial when
you are cranking out FreeBSD network servers, so everything is in one place.

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 11 Carver St, Nashua, NH  03060
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...