Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:05:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      richw@webcom.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/26261: silo overflow problem in sio driver

>Number:         26261
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       silo overflow problem in sio driver
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I'm getting lots of "silo overflow" errors on an internal serial port
in my 800-MHz Athlon system.

I tried patching isa/sio.c to set a lower receive FIFO threshold, but
even with a threshold of FIFO_RX_MEDL, I still get silo overflows unless
I reduce the serial port speed to 19200 or slower.

The serial port works flawlessly if I run Win98 and Hyperterm -- so I
assume the problem is in FreeBSD and not in my hardware.
>How-To-Repeat:
Sustained high-speed serial input at 38400 or above.
>Fix:
No fix known.  Reducing port speed to 19200 or slower is a workaround,
but not a very satisfying one.