Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 95 15:00:51 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        paul@isl.cf.ac.uk, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, steve2@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Colorado Jumbo 250MB ft, and FreeBSD 2.0R

> >That DELAY is hardware dependent is an inevitable side effect of
> >the fact that it is not implemented using real timer code.
>
> It is implemented using real timer code.  Read the code before
> commenting.

Oh, well, then the symptoms being reported aren't happening.  8-).

I didn't realize real timer code had been implemented where a
kernel thread switch occurrs and a timer event is scheduled instead
of blocking the kernel thread that called DELAY until the time period
has expired.

Guess this means the kernel is real close to being SMP clean, since
multiple threads executing in the kernel simultaneously is the main
attribute of both SMP and a preemptible multithreaded kernel.  I
guess the only thing left is cache coherency for multiply accessed
or common memory areas and interrupt delivery arbitration so that
any processer can take the interrupt.

Guess it also means that since the timer outcall is scheduled and
the kernel continues executing, probe calls to long DELAY intervals
are actually overlapped (as was recently suggested) and we no longer
have to see the "waiting for devices to settle" on SCSI subprobes.

This is cool.  I suppose this real timer code is in the next snap?
Unfortunately, I can't find it in the current one.

I suppose these changes have also been documented for the maintainer
of the ft so that the ft command can be integrated as a kernel thread?

Oh, and with kernel threads available, I'd like to now suggest that
the NFS and BIOD code be rewritten to take advantage of this significant
advancement.

Whoever is woring on the LFS should probably move the cleaner in as
a kernel thread without a process context; this would definitely
make it more responsive, as well as delaing with one of the two major
impediments standing in the way of mounting multiple LFS partitions
simultaneously.

Oh, and if anyone wants to move AMD in as a kernel thread, I'm sure
you would end up being a god for removing the visibile name space
pollution the current user space implementation causes, not to
mention the coresidency problems for multiple AMD instances.

What?  The real timer code and the necessary kernel support to make it
usable isn't really there yet?  Drat!

That's what "real timer code" means.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu