Date:      Sun, 09 May 1999 15:47:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS question..

On 09-May-99 Sergey Ayukov (mailing lists) wrote:
> Surprisingly, no. This looks quite interesting. The reason I was putting
> -alldirs flag is in stupid pcnfs printing which mounts directories like
> /var/spool/pcnfs/machine-name. The solution I have settled on is rather
> ugly but seems to work:
>
> /var/spool/pcnfs/fine \
>  /var/spool/pcnfs/fine2 \
>  /var/spool/pcnfs/lyambda \
>  /var/spool/pcnfs/solar \
>  /var/spool/pcnfs/universe \
>  /var/spool/pcnfs/silden \
>  /var/spool/pcnfs/rillanon
>  /var/spool/pcnfs/practic \
>  /var/spool/pcnfs/prof \
>  /var/spool/pcnfs/spiral \
>  lab friends
>
> (lab and friends are netgroups; this BSD feature I quite like). At least
> one problem with NFS seems to go away... Thank you very much, John!

Glad that it worked.  Also, according to the exports(5) manpage, the -alldirs
flag would have exported all of /var, which is not what you wanted:

"...the -alldirs flag; this form allows the host(s) to mount
     at any point within the filesystem..."

Which is not what you wanted.  The best solution might be to (in the future)
make /var/spool/pcnfs it's own partition and then export that with -alldirs.  I
looked through the mountd source very briefly but didn't see why the -alldirs
option made a difference.  Hmm.

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc