Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:43:37 -0600
From:      Stacy Millions <stacy@millions.ca>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE [was Re: Driver for D-Link DWL-650 card? [encryption now  working]]

Brett Glass wrote:

> At 04:20 PM 7/15/2001, Nick Sayer wrote:
>
> >?!?!
> >
> >A friend of mine is using FreeBSD with PPPoE and has been for quite
> >some time now without any problems at all (he's running 4.3-RELEASE).
> > What are you seeing?
>
> The client caused kernel panics when used with an fxp adapter. I
> switched to an ed adapter, and it now works, BUT.... If the
> connection is interrupted for more than about half a minute (e.g.
> if you unplug the client), the client's PPP process locks up and
> won't reconnect.

I have a client running PPPoE to their ISP since 4.2-R with no problems
(except for an idiot in their office who reboots everything he can lay
his hands on if one of his windows apps acts up :-( ) Unfortunately the
mean time between idiots is < 30 days, so I can't say that it is stable
over long periods.

The one thing I did have to add to the ppp.conf was
	enable lqr
without it, the client end would not notice if the ISP silently
disappeared.

-stacy

--
Nothing spoils fun like finding out it builds character.
    - Calvin

Stacy Millions                                       stacy@millions.ca
Millions Consulting Limited