Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 08:41:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        rif@ns.kconline.com (Jim Riffle)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UUCP server configuration

> Could someone please point me towards some documentation on how to set up
> a UUCP server?  What I am tring to do is set it up to where my system will
> accept mail for a domain via uucp.  I was able to find plenty of docs on
> how to setup uucp as a client, but I am having real troubles finding docs
> on a server for a mail and possiably news domain.
>
> An example would be, say a local BBS wanted to have a domain where they
> could get mail/news.  The mail would come to my server where they would
> call and pick it up, and post any mail they had outgoing.

UUCP doesn't really have a "server" concept; UUCP machines are peers.
That's probably a major conceptual problem  :-)  You can certainly set it
up so that one side always initiates the connection, but that doesn't
change the fundamental paradigm of UUCP.

Doing things like mail and news are things that are done on top of UUCP,
much like FTP operates on "top of" TCP/IP.  They are really separate issues,
and need to be thought of as such.

Make sure that you can uucp files back and forth between your machines.
This is the first step... UUCP is a batch file transfer service and if you
can't transfer files, nothing else will work either.  Check out the O'Reilly
book on the topic, or the Taylor documentation, or both.

Once you have done that, then consider doing mail, etc.  The O'Reilly
Sendmail book should be an invaluable guide, but to a certain extent, you
just need to "make it work" particularly if you are dealing with a
DOS-based BBS/UUCP package as the remote note.  I've had to do all sorts
of grungy hacks over the years.  At one point MajorBBS would not recognize
its own node name in caps, even though it emitted it in that form....

You will also need to work with your DNS administrator if you wish to
provide them with a domain name on the Internet.

... JG