Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 00:42:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   system config database...

For general comment, exp for JKH:

I've been putting brain power into
the issue of a configuration system for /etc.
I have done something along this path with
M4 for a similar purpose.

Is M4 too weird to use for something of this
scope?
(me, I love M4 but it has problems)

I do not want to get rid of any of the 'standard'
/etc files. This would seem to create additional
confusion for immigrants and the like.

I am thinking of a default config and a site config
(possibly multiple site configs, good for porto users).
The defaults will be used when site configs are
not specified.

Should there be a /config, or a /etc/config?
(me, /config)

Should I look at adding a statically linked
compiled program for boot time generation of
/etc files or strictly a shell?
(me, non-shell)

Some way of having the boot loader pass a
site option to the kernel which then becomes
either a sysctl or an ENV for use by the
configurator?

This would be attachable to a unified text or
X based editing system that can become a very
nice interface for users of new and old vintage.
Not to the exculsion of direct vi interaction though.

Any thoughts?

Dan

--
danj@3skel.com