Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 00:36:43 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@altavista.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More panics (different hardware)

To echo what Bart reported:

> 	Just as a follow up to my constant panic report on 4.1-S with my
> Athlon system, I'd like to say that my Pentium 200 system has now joined
> in.  This P200 system has served me with 100% rock solid stability for
> years.  Not once has it had any weird behaviour.

My previously 100% solid never-crashed since 3.2-R install STABLE tracking PII-266
with the same hardware as it has had for ages is now taking a dive every
couple of days. This started a couple of weeks before 4.1.1, IIRC.

I have not yet set up and kind of kernel debugging and any messages are
long gone before I can see them.

AFAICT, the crashes don't correlate to any particular activity. Sometimes
I'll be running the usual niety-nine X clients doing lots of net I/O
(normal desktop stuff) and X will freeze, then *thunk* - the monitor
switches modes as the box boots. The filesystems always fsck cleanly, even
when the box was doing significant disk I/O up to the crash. Sometimes the
box is ticking away quietly in the middle of the night and bounces.

Buildworlds have run flawlessly and the environment is stable, so I'm not
inclined to think it's hardware.

Let me know if it'll help to gather or give more detail.

-Andrew-