Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 22:56:06 +1030 (CST)
From:      David Peters <dpeters@damp.apana.org.au>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wangdat 3400DX and NCR SCSI woes

Hi,

I've got a Wangdat 3400DX hanging off a NCR 53C810-based SCSI controller.

Performance sucks.

This isn't a FreeBSD-specific problem; it causes problems booting (which is
talking via the BIOS) as well. (Although we haven't actually tried under
other operating systems)

Once the system is up, throughput is around 2-3M/minute.

For what it's worth, we have the jumper diagram out of the service manual;
there's nothing of significance that we can find - termination options,
SCSI 1/2 select, compression enable/disable.

Cabling and termination isn't much of an option for problems either; the
DAT has been swapped in in place of a disk (performance of the disks
without the DAT is good) and performs equally badly there or in its normal
external casing.

We've also run the unit on an Ultrastor 34F.  This boots fine, but performance
is just as bad.

The questions:

 - Is there anyone out there using one of these in a similar configuration
   with good results?
 - Does anyone know what the dipswitches 5,6,7 & 8 do?
 - Any ideas? Please?

 Mike Smith, per

--
 David Peters                                Email: dpeters@damp.apana.org.au