Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 11:27:01 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd), freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

>> Um... Isn't the DPT stuff "real raid"?

>Guess you can play with words, but in my opinion, not if it's just a
>controller...  a real RAID includes little things like hot swappability,
>redundant power, things that require hardware.  ;-)
>I thought when I looked at the DPT stuff it was just a controller like the
>Adaptec 3985 "RAID" controller, but had some cache RAM on it too.

Of course, if it is just a controller, there simply is no way to do
hot swap.  But the controller itself will also do automatic fail-over
to standby drives, automatically filling the fail-over with data and
bringing it on-line when ready.

But, if you buy DPT's SmartRAID drive chassis to go along with the
card, you got full hot swap, automatic fail-over, redundant power
supplies (and fans), etc.

This goes along with the controller's own ability to do automatic
fail-over to standby drives, with or without the case, automatic
temperature alarms, S.M.A.R.T. technology for predicting drive
failures on SCSI drives that support S.M.A.R.T., and its use of ECC
memory (if you buy ECC).  Of course, you probably need some driver
support for all this, so there's no guarantee the Linux driver will
support it all, but...

It's really pretty cool stuff.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net