Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 1999 15:14:15 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        dcs@newsguy.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, sheldonh@iafrica.com, sos@freebsd.dk
Subject:   Re: ATAPI and ATAPI_STATIC with the new ATA* driver?

> >> This breakage was announced :-).
> >
> >Besides, it is not even a breakage. It finally got _unbroken_. :-)
>
> It is breakage, and should be fixed.

It's only just now been fixed.  The convention on the i386 platform is
to pack unit numbers; the 'wd' driver was our sole exception (the BIOS
and the SCSI code both pack unit numbers).  Since it's now consistent
with everything else, it should stay as-is.

Wiring ATAPI units down is of limited utility, but should probably be
supported for people that like those silly removable drive sleds.