Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 1999 11:39:21 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matlab 5.3

Sean O'Connell wrote:

> On 1999 Jun 02, Russell D. Murphy Jr. (aka rdmurphy@neale.econ.vt.edu) wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying (again) without success to install Matlab.  I'm using:
>
> There are two main ways of doing this.
>
> 1) Use a supported platform (a linux box or actually a digital unix or
>    sun or whatever will also unpack the linux distribution too) to unpack
>    it onto an nfs mount or a local directory, tar it up and change the
>    MATLABDIR stuff, and modify a few other key scripts that use the
>    /bin/uname command and look for linux (Linux?) and lie to them :).

A more structural approach is to install sh-utils-*.rpm, which includes
uname and to apply my uname patch. That way you don't have to edit scripts:

scones% /compat/linux/bin/uname
Linux
scones% /usr/bin/uname
FreeBSD

> *this is critical;  /bin/tar is hard coded into the tsetup and xsetup
> linux executables...grrr, this caused the majority of my troubles*

Isn't this solved by installing tar-*.tpm?

> +    elif [ -f /usr/bin/uname ]; then                     # FreeBSD?
> +         case "`/usr/bin/uname`" in
> +             FreeBSD)
> +                 Arch="lnx86"
> +                 ;;
> +         esac

See point 1.

> 6) while you have these tar files unpacked, there is one more little hack that
>    has to get put in in the osversion check business:  (sorry I don't have
>    a diff convenient)

Does it actually expects a version like x.y.z?

Currently the patch produces something like the following:

scones% /compat/linux/bin/uname -a
Linux scones.sup.scc.nl 4.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #0: Wed Jun  2
15:24:26 CEST 1999
    marcel i386 unknown

--
Marcel Moolenaar                                  mailto:marcel@scc.nl