Date:      Thu, 12 May 2011 10:14:59 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: Skyip? question

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 05:20:10PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> What does the list think of XBill's buyout of Skype?  i know there is probably
> a port for this for the BSD'S.  ISn't it just a VOIP thing... maybe with some
> video glued on?

I am sure MS will find a way to use it to coerce users to buy the
rest of their system.  What else is new.

> (How hard/easy woold be be to hack out a better one...or do GOOG and YHOO
> already have their own versions of skyip?)

It has been done a few times.  Some phone service companies also
do essentially the same thing with a proprietary software.

> Lastly, a few years ago, somebody on this list said that skype was "free like
> free beer."  Pretty sure they had that saying when i was a kind back in the
> twelfth century, but still have no ides what it means, so  would appreciate it
> from my fellow geeks who get that 'free-beer' swipe.

I always thought, used that way, it meant that the sign may say 'Free Beer'
but if you take it, you have sold your soul or some other body part
unknowingly.  They're going to get you some way.   But, I never have
heard any official definition.

////jerry