Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:12:42 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for a small machine

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 03:57:03PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:

> I'm looking for good sources of a small machines.  I need the machine
> to be smaller than a mini-tower in size and able to run FreeBSD.  I
> need to be able to put two or three nics into this machine, one of
> them needs to be ISA (pcmcia bridge).  I'm looking for complete
> systems.  Anybody got a good place to get stuff like this?  My last
> supplier (of a 7"x3.5"x10" system) is 401 now (they are in bankruptcy
> and will likely not emerge).  x86, at compat, blah blah blah.  Needn't
> be fast, but fast enough to handle a 1Mbps pipe through it.
>
> Since I need 2 nics plus a wireless card, most laptops won't do :-(.
> Those that do are about $800 with their docking station.  I was
> looking for a cheaper solution.

Wes Peters would be a good one to ask if he isn't on this list since
DoBox is buying these sorts of systems to prototype their product.
It looks like FIC sells one that would do (assuming you're ok with one
NIC being builtin or buying duel/quad NICs).

http://www.fica.com/products/systems/Databook/Sahara1000/Sahara1000.stm

I think Wes has a slightly different solution with him, but it was from
FIC, IIRC.  I've got a Fujistu/Simens Scovery system I bought at auction
that would fit the bill except for the ISA issue.  I need to find the
time to set it up as a PXE booting test box.

-- Brooks