Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 22:53:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stefan Molnar <stefan@exis.net>
To:        "Charles A. Peters" <charlespeters@tecpro.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD File Server on a Novell 3.12 Network

> I am in the process of attempting to set up a FreeBSD file server to
> be attached to my Novell 3.12 IPX network.  I was wondering what the
> most reliable way to accomplish this task would be.
>
> My primary goal is to have a server capable of housing files with
> long file names (WinNT files, Windows95 files, and Unix type files).
>
> I understand that the SAMBA product included with my copy of FreeBSD
> Version 2.1 may be used to accomplish this task.

You can not use samba for this task, samba uses SMB for file and printer
sharing.  Netware does not work that way.  With only a Netware 3.x and
freebsd, you can try to us mars (I saw it on redhat), or Netware NFS.

The way I worked around it was using a OS/2 Warp server as a front end
of the netware box, and the freebsd box and it work wonerfully.  BUt
I was luck in that the school had os/2 warp server.  Later I moved from
samba and used the OS/2 NFS package.  BUt I can tell you that it was
a blind journey to get all of those servers talking nicely to dos/win,
win95, and os/2 warp clienmts.

Stefan