Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 22:10:28 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
Cc:        "hardware@freebsd.org" <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More K6 info...

>I guess if the issue is heat-related then there are several options:
>
>1) Use a Peltier cooler on the K6 if you need to keep it working hard all
>the time.  Would a Cyrix 6x86 fan do?

   I tried that and it helped more than just a regular heat sink, but not as
well as an extra large heat sink. I'm not happy with the thermal coupling
of the Peltier device that I used, so perhaps it would work better if it
wasn't attached with thermal tape (e.g. use thermal compound instead). The
heat sink alone solutions I used all had an appropriate amount of thermal
compound.

>2) Implement a "halt" like feature in the kernel configuration for the K6
>(don't know if this is possible though)

   We already do, but when the system is busy, you aren't halted very often,
so the effect of this is minor.

-DG

David Greenman