Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 23:43:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Removeable media support

As Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> > > But, MO technology is MUCH MUCH faster than tape, and looks just like
> > > another SCSI hard drive.
>
> Uhm, be aware that MO technology is a slow writer, since it must pass over
> each track twice to write, once to erase, once to write...

Wasn't it three times?  One to erase, one to write the 1-bits, one to
write the 0-bits.  Anyway, Sony did further development, and they
claim to get it all in one by now.

> > Besides MO technology, Iomega's recently announced new drives (i think
> > the call'em ``zipdrives'') come to mind.  They provide 100 MB at a
> > reasonable price for the drive (much less than an 128 MB MO drive),
> > and with comparable medium costs.
>
> I'm very interested in this drive, if anybody has any experience ?

They are rather new, perhaps they've been published for the first time
at the CeBit.

The figures floating around in Usenet claim DM 350 for a drive and
around DM 30 for a 100 MB medium.  The drives are said to be SCSI.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/