Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 22:06:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aviplay with 24-bit color depth?

Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com> wrote:
 > Does anyone else have problems using aviplay at color depths higher
 > than 16 bits?
 >
 > If I run X in 24 bits (savage driver on S3 Savage 4), I get no video,
 > just a static, unmoving, completely scrambled display in the aviplay
 > window.  I can hear the audio OK as the video plays.

I've had similar problems on my laptop (S3 Savage-MX chip,
8 Mbyte VRAM):  aviplay worked fine in 16bit, but didn't in
32bit.  Of course I wanted to use 32bit.  I was using some
not-so-up-to-date XFree86 4.0.xxx version (don't remember
exactly).

Well I finally decided to upgrade to the latest 4.1.0, and
guess what -- avifile worked fine in 32bit mode afterwards.
So I'd recommend that you check your XFree86 version and
upgrade, if necessary.  Worked for me.

Having said that, now I'm not using avifile anymore, but
mplayer (also from the ports) in conjunction with libsdl.
It plays literally everything you throw at it, including
MPEGs, stuff from Video-CDs and DVDs, AVIs (including DivX,
of course) and ASF files.  Using the hardware scaling
capability of the savage chip, I can play videos fullscreen
at just about 20% CPU load (it's a Pentium-III-850).
I'm a happy camper now.  :)

Regards
   Oliver

PS:  Well, OK, we still need something to play Quicktime
.mov files.  A shame that Apple invented yet another pro-
prietary format.

Maybe Jordan can get us a .mov player for BSD ...?  Even
a lousy Linux binary would be better than nothing.  :-)