Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2007 03:49:38 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "User Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: postfix question

Remember,

UNIXes and suchlike use a single IP address route table.

Your machine isn't trying to establish a connection to:
username@somedomain.com

It is trying to establish a connection to IP address
x.y.z.a

Machines don't speak domainese.  They translate
the human-friendly stuff like domain names and such into
IP addresses.

Once the system resolves the recipient e-mail address
into a destination IP address, the choice of interface that
it goes out on is entirely controlled by the route table.
And due to the single route table in the system, that
is going to be the interface that reaches your default gateway.

Even if this box was a router, like a Cisco that supports
route maps that allow you to bypass the single route table,
since the mail is originating from the system, it would always
follow the same map anyway.

You need 2 mailservers to do what you want.

Ted