Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:56:56 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No xvideo support for ATI Rage Pro?

--Boundary-02=_L0he+dHXjfSFQ21

On Thursday 20 March 2003 19:23, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> >>
> >>Sometimes, sometimes not ...
> >
> > Definitely different, and not just sometimes. :) The RagePro chipset is
> > much older than the Rage 128 Pro.
>
> Sorry, the site at ati.com is gone where the several chips are
> described, but in past sometimes I had to identify the cards by chip and
> a number on it. There are some Rage PRO and Rage 128 Pro which were the
> same and there were differences between several Rage PRO's and Rage 128
> PRO's and Rage 3D PRO's.

ATi's chip naming conventions are confusing. For example, the non-marketing=
=20
name for the chipsets on several 'Rage 128' and 'Rage 128 Pro' products is=
=20
"3D Rage Pro 128" (duh), and there are over 40(!) different revisions of th=
e=20
3D Rage Pro 128. Most of them have some two-letter suffix (3D Rage Pro 128=
=20
PA, 3D Rage Pro 128 PP, 3D Rage Pro 128 SG, 3D Rage Pro 128 RL, etc).

So, to clarify, when I said "Rage Pro", I was referring to all non-3D Rage =
Pro=20
128-but-still-fifth-generation-except-mobile-chipsets, i.e. oldish chips li=
ke=20
the RageIIc, 3D Rage Pro PCI/AGP and 3D Rage Pro Turbo, which have been use=
d=20
in products like the "3D Charger" and the "XPERT@WORK"/"XPERT@PLAY" cards, =
or=20
the old cores in new housings like the RageXL chip used on the "XPERT XL"=20
cards or the OEM chip in the Dell Poweredge 6300 (have I clarified anything=
=20
now? I'm not sure...) which require extra driver work to access the=20
hardware-scaler and overlay facilities.

So I guess, it's really kinda hard for anybody who's not been juggling with=
=20
ATi chips for the last few years to keep track. I'm not sure I managed=20
either... :)

=2D-=20
Regards,
	Michael Nottebrock