Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 2010 13:32:51 +0100
From:      Rui Paulo <rpaulo@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is 802.11n rate control being worked on?

On 7 Sep 2010, at 19:41, John Nielsen wrote:

> I am working on a network scenario which would benefit greatly from =
the MIMO features and higher bandwidth of 802.11n. It's my understanding =
that 11n is not fully supported in FreeBSD since there is no appropriate =
rate control algorithm in the tree. Is that still the case?

I've worked on supporting 11n on ath_rate_sample but it's incomplete.

>=20
> I would _really_ like to run FreeBSD for this project, and I believe =
the Atheros wireless cards I plan to use are supported by ath(4). I'd =
like to find out what else needs to happen to complete the picture. I =
may even go so far as to write some code myself. :)
>=20
> Is anyone working on this at the moment?

Not really, I did some work in the past, but it's incomplete.

>=20
> Is it just the rate control that needs to be done or are there other =
parts involved? Is MIMO separate?

We have MIMO on some non-Atheros drivers, but one of these drivers =
(Ralink 11n) is not yet in the tree.

>=20
> Is there a detailed description of the missing pieces somewhere? Or a =
not-very-detailed summary of where to look and what to read to get =
started?

Not really. There's some interest from other FreeBSD committers to get =
this going, so I'll let them chime in.

Regards,
--
Rui Paulo