Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 20:13:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Lamb.net>
To:        troy@circle.net (Troy Arie Cobb)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any RAID support anywhere?

> I just spoke with DPT tech support, who very rudely
> informed me that THEY had no plans for a FreeBSD driver
> for their cacheing raid controller.  They have one for
> BSDI, though.

And as far I remember, they released that BSDI source code. And someone
is working on porting it. Maybe look in the list archives

> So, that leads me to this question:  is there ANY RAID
> controller card that is supported by FreeBSD?  Even one
> that "pretends" to be a regular SCSI and combines the disks
> under one SCSI-ID is fine, so long as it doesn't require me
> to go buy a proprietary machine (like Compaq), ugh.

I would suggest to look into a SCSI2SCSI Raid solution, like
Mylex, CDC and others have it. You are then totaly indepent.

> I'm putting together a kick-ass NFS server and RAID 5 is a
> must-have for this.  Any pointers, comments, suggestions would
> be much appreciated.
>

> - troy
>
> Troy Arie Cobb
> troy@circle.net

> | Circle Net, Inc.       |  global internet access     |
> | http://www.circle.net  |  for western north carolina |
> | info@circle.net        |  and beyond...              |
> | 704-254-9500           |                             |

Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-865-0204
Lamb Art Internet Services    ||  http://www.Lamb.net/