Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 14:39:06 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: savcore dump names?

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 02:15:57PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 02:02:29PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> > > So what happened to the request that savecore(8) go back to using
> > > sensible, intuitive names instead of brain-damaged ones?
> >
> > The committer that took that feature away isn't interested in seeing
> > things through to the end.
> >
> > Another reason we need an owner of each thing in the tree.
>
> So that if they get hit by a bus, we're screwed for all time?

No Terry, a new "owner" would pop up.
I know the strong down sides to what I said -- I also think people need
to consider the strong downside with our anarchy.

> Not to harp on you in particular, but your statement about
> "isn't interested in seeing things through" is really
> emotionally charged, and is exactly the wrong sort of thing.

It is emotionally charged?  It is simple fact.

> I think the obvious thing to do is to wait a while for the
> code to be completed, and then time out and back out the
> changes, and let them be committed again later, only when they
> are complete

You don't seem quite up on the savecore(8) changes.  Please go look at
the logs -- we cannot simply back out rev 1.51.