Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:44:33 +0100
From:      Nicolas <lists@serpe.org>
To:        Carleton Vaughn <keebler@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need to monitor when IP Address changes

Carleton Vaughn wrote:
> Brian John wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but I don't really need Dynamic DNS.  I just want to be able
>> to find out what my home computer's ip address is at any given time.
>> I'd rather not pay anything because I know that this is something that
>> I could probably do myself with a script.  I would really like to
>> learn how to do this myself.
>
> Dynamic DNS is often free for personal use.  I use DynDNS.org and a
> Netgear firewall/router.  Works dandy and saves me from having to
> research my IP every time Earthlink resets my connection.

Are you really sure that they provide a Dynamic DNS for free ? Their
free service just maps a free url (like "you.dyndns.org") to your IP.

If you want to update real DNS entries on your own domain (like
"you.com"), you have to pay for the extra "Custom DNS" service. $30 a
year or something.

Do someone know of a good real dynamic DNS update service (with your own
domain) ?