Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 09:30:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: i386/1626: MUSTEK Scanner hangs NCR SCSI controller

The following reply was made to PR i386/1626; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To: wb@vestein.arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 09:27:04 -0700

 >        Whenever the system tries to access the scanner, the SCSI
 >        bus is not longer usable, not even for the disc. The system
 >        returns after some minutes hanging for other operations.

 Most scanners do not allow disconnection. So, while you are scanning,
 no other transactions may pass through the bus.  The only real fix
 is to get a second adapter and place your scanner on it assuming you
 want to do real work while you are scanning.  I'm also cooking up
 some ideas for how to fix our timeout code so that its less pathological
 in these types of situations, but you'd still see these "pauses"
 regardless.

 --
 Justin T. Gibbs
   FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations