Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 23:26:35 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Andrew Atrens <atrens@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc:        <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: -- recursive make considered harmful ??

Andrew Atrens <atrens@nortelnetworks.com> types:
> Any considered opinions on this ?
>
> http://www.pcug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html
>
> I've set up a freebsd-style make system for our project which is blazingly
> fast on freebsd (and solaris), but sucks lemons on NT (mostly because of
> Cygwin fork+exec).

It's an interesting approach to the problems with Make, and hopefully
will be more successful than the others that exist. Most people who've
attacked the problem simply punted on make completely.  Jam <URL:
http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html > seems to be the most popular of
the bunch, but none of them are really popular, largely because they
aren't backwards compatible with make.

	<mike