Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:28:58 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        m0f0x <el.mofo@uol.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB printer problem (/dev/lpt0: Device busy.)

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 03:26:02AM -0200, m0f0x wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> This week I got a HP LaserJet 1022 BW laser printer (USB connection). Thi=
s printer is marked as "works perfectly" in LinuxPrinting.org (yes, I know,=
 BSD differs from Linux).
>=20
> Well, first, I tried the printer on a friend's box, running Linux. The pr=
inter worked fine (CUPS) with the correct setup (filters, driver).
>=20
> But, on my FreeBSD box, things didn't went very well. I saw a lot of user=
s reporting the same problem that I'm having here: the USB port is always b=
usy when the printer is attached.
>=20
> The printer is recognized by the system without any problem:
> 	ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 1022, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 7=
/1
> 	ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
>=20
> A simple test, the same test that were found on previous messages about t=
his problem:
> 	lptest > /dev/lpt0
> 	/dev/lpt0: Device busy.
>=20
> Well, I even tried to use a proposed patch to ulpt.c (http://lists.freebs=
d.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2005-July/001255.html), but no success.
>=20
> Any clues/hints?

Try removing device plip from your kernel.  Something changed a while
back (I don't think anyone has tracked down what) that causes it to eat
the device.

-- Brooks

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP--