Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 13:18:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@oneida.internet.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ahhhhhhhhhh!

>From: DARREND@novell.com (Darren Davis)
>
> There is too much noise, I think I need a straight jacket!
>
> I came back to my email from the weekend, and I had over 400 hundred emails.
>  All this is just two days!  Most are from the FreeBSD mailing lists.
> I can't keep up with this!  There needs to be a better way.  I must admit
> some of my problems with managing my email are due to the tools I am unfortunately
> forced to use.  (Hey Terry, remember GroupWise under Unix?)  For those
> of you who have not experienced GroupWise, take my recommendation DON'T!
>
> What are the thoughts on breaking this stuff out of mail lists and into
> news groups?  (At least there I can use kill files to eliminate the noise.)
>  Or, must I suffer this fate?  Any suggestions on how to manage this much
> email?  Jordan, how do you deal with all this traffic?

Actaally, I've got a mail-list management issue that is certainly
interesting:

Long ago, I took to using procmail to break out my mail upon delivery to
various folders.  I noted that several times _daily_ that procmail was
dropping core.

Well, I hacked procmail to requeue the mail upon a segfault, and after a few
days, guess what I found?

Seventy-nine mail messages from hackers, bugs, and stable !

I haven't gone pawing through debuggers to see what the issue is, but will
have to if I want my mail to be delivered.

Have anyone else seen wierd behaviour from this?   I note that even with with
all of the debugging stuff turned on, the resulting core file died way out
in a library somewhere...

For what it's worth, I'm running 2.1R and procmail v3.10.