Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 95 22:29:20 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ESDI install now succeeded

> Using a variant of the setup of Steve Piette I managed to get 205Snap installed
> on a Micropolis 1558 and a WD1007 controller:
>
> W8 out (Steve had 'm in)
> W14 in (disable translation)
>
> I used WDFMT.EXE from www.wdc.com to format the drive with 15 heads, 1224 cyls
> and 35 sect/track (Steve used 36).
>
> bad144, disklabel and friends were now happily doing their job.
>
> It looks like we need a section 'ESDI installations' in the FreeBSD handbook.
> I'm willing to write that as soon as I understand what is going on exactly.
>
> How are people using non-WD1007 adapters doing? E.g. using an Adaptec 2322 ?

We got the WD1007 install running at Weber before I left, too.

One of the guys there is supposed to take the controller out and scan it
for a GIF for me.  8-).

I also had to have 8 in, 14 out and run wdfmt.exe (which is in the self
extracting archive wdfmtp.exe on that site, BTW).

Same geometry that you had.

I had a problem with the number of cylinders causing the BIOS to complain
on the boot, so I configured drive type 48 for 1024 cylinders to shut it
up.  The install detected this, and robbed me of a little over 20% of my
disk space.  Probably needed to go into the menu that lets you change
the geometry and tell it "1224" (the guy I worked on it with promised to
redo the install trying that and let me know).

Anyway, it's a bitch, but it can be done.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.