Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 12:36:12 -0700
From:      Ian Kallen <ian@gamespot.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org, security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial vs built in firewall capabilities of FreeBSD

The IETF told Cisco and Microsoft to merge their VPN technology 'cause they
were sufficiently similar but not interoperable.  I don't know what the
implimentation schedule is though.  I tried to answer my objection to NT's
lack of secure remote administration by using pcAnywhere over a pptp link.
No go.  Since I couldn't run a tcp/ip capable application over the link, it
made me sour on pptp en generale.  I don't remotely admin any NT boxes over
the net.  There's a lot of issues MS has to deal with for NT to be taken
seriously as an internet platform, IMO.

--
Ian Kallen						ian@gamespot.com
	Director of Technology and Web Administration